[mpich-discuss] process/core binding

Mark Beauharnois mark at asrc.cestm.albany.edu
Thu Jan 13 08:00:26 CST 2011

Hi,

Seems like my previous email was truncated after the table so I'll repost.

I have a 2x Quad core Intel Nehalem server, and /proc/cpuinfo shows the
following processing element mapping (16 virtual processing elements I guess
due to Intel's Hyperthreading architecture):

Physical ID 0       Physical ID 1

Proc Id/Core Id Proc Id/Core Id

0/0                         4/0

1/1                         5/1

2/9                         6/9

3/10                       7/10

8/0                         12/0

9/1                         13/1

10/9                       14/9

11/10                     15/10

I would like to run 2 processes on the machine, and insure that each
physical CPU runs one process.  By default, does Hydra distribute the two
processes over the physical CPU's, or would it run the two processes on
processor ID's 0, and 1 (2 cores on same physical processor)?  If that is
true, how would I specify a user defined process/core binding in this
situation to make sure that the processes are distributed across physical
CPU's?  Would I use a binding such as "binding=user:0,4"?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark Beauharnois

Senior Programmer/Analyst