[mpich-discuss] multiply large number

Nicolas Rosner nrosner at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 16:31:22 CST 2011

Hi Mehdi, sounds like you're expected to write a program that
multiplies two numbers, but...

a) it should work correctly for *any* two integers of arbitrary size
(even millions of digits, only limited by total RAM available)

b) it should use MPI to exploit parallelism (so that adding more
processors => obtaining same result in less time).

Assuming that the above spec describes what you want, and that you
haven't done so yet, may I suggest that you focus on solving the first
part only for now? You won't need MPI at all, but it still is a
nontrivial problem in its own right.

Only once the sequential version of your program is fully working,
bugs fixed, thoroughly tested, etc, should you move on to writing the
parallel version, b). Going for both at once would be many times
harder, and you still will need a) to compare b) against, anyway!

Good luck,
Nicolás