[mpich-discuss] Strange MPI problem

Xiao Li shinelee.thewise at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 22:57:18 CST 2011

Hi MPI people,

I am now learning MPI programming. My code is something like this:

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
MPI_Init(&argc,&argv);
MPI_Comm_size(MPI_COMM_WORLD,&numprocs);
MPI_Comm_rank(MPI_COMM_WORLD,&rank);

if(rank != 0)
{
     //workers do something here
    // no other MPI runtiness are used
}
MPI_Finalize();
return 0;
}

I start 14 processes on four machines to run this programs. However, my
programs seems halt on MPI_Finalize(). I check the log and find these error
information.

[03:5784]......ERROR:result command received but the wait_list is empty.
[03:5784]....ERROR:unable to handle the command: "cmd=result src=0 dest=3
tag=32 cmd_tag=21 ctx_key=1 result=SUCCESS "
[03:5784]..ERROR:error closing the unknown context socket: Error = -1

May I know what does these error log mean? These error log occurr at the end
of my main function, just before the last statement "return 0". As I do not
use any MPI communication routines in side the code block, I do not know why
does these error happen. By the way, I am sure the example program cpi.exe
works fine on my small cluster. The cluster is composed by four Windwos XP
sp2 machines connected by 100Mbps localnetwork.

cheers
Xiao