[mpich-discuss] DESTDIR problems

William Gropp wgropp at illinois.edu
Wed Aug 24 14:38:46 CDT 2011

No, the DESTDIR changes have not been thoroughly tested (note the
comment that these are partial fixes).  In tests, this reduced the
number of DESTDIR-related errors but did not eliminate them all (hence
the partial).

Bill

On Aug 24, 2011, at 1:24 PM, Torquil Macdonald Sørensen wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm working on a Debian package of 1.4.1rc1. However, I seem to have
> some problems with DESTDIR. There have been some recent changes with
> regard to DESTDIR:
>
> http://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/mpich2/changeset/8813
>
> I wonder, have those changes been thoroughly tested?
>
> The Debian build system seems to set DESTDIR to
>
> /home/tmac/src/debian/mpich2/mpich2/debian/tmp//usr
>
> because that is where it is going to install all the files before
> collecting them into a DEB file.
>
> However, consider the source directory src/env
>
> The build system runs the following make command:
>
> make INSTALL_STRIP_FLAG= PACKAGE= prefix=/home/tmac/src/debian/
> mpich2/mpich2/debian/tmp//usr exec_prefix=/home/tmac/src/debian/
> mpich2/mpich2/debian/tmp//usr bindir=/home/tmac/src/debian/mpich2/
> mpich2/debian/tmp//usr/bin libdir=/home/tmac/src/debian/mpich2/
> mpich2/debian/tmp//usr/lib includedir=/home/tmac/src/debian/mpich2/
> mpich2/debian/tmp//usr/include/mpich2 install
>
> The problem is that in the Makefile in that directory, the
> expression ${DESTDIR}${exec_prefix} is used. This amounts to the
> incorrect path:
>
> /home/tmac/src/debian/mpich2/mpich2/

William Gropp
Director, Parallel Computing Institute
Deputy Director for Research
Institute for Advanced Computing Applications and Technologies
Paul and Cynthia Saylor Professor of Computer Science
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign