[mpich-discuss] DESTDIR problems

Torquil Macdonald Sørensen torquil at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 13:24:07 CDT 2011

Hi!

I'm working on a Debian package of 1.4.1rc1. However, I seem to have some
problems with DESTDIR. There have been some recent changes with regard to DESTDIR:

http://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/mpich2/changeset/8813

I wonder, have those changes been thoroughly tested?

The Debian build system seems to set DESTDIR to

/home/tmac/src/debian/mpich2/mpich2/debian/tmp//usr

because that is where it is going to install all the files before collecting
them into a DEB file.

However, consider the source directory src/env

The build system runs the following make command:

make INSTALL_STRIP_FLAG= PACKAGE=
prefix=/home/tmac/src/debian/mpich2/mpich2/debian/tmp//usr
exec_prefix=/home/tmac/src/debian/mpich2/mpich2/debian/tmp//usr
bindir=/home/tmac/src/debian/mpich2/mpich2/debian/tmp//usr/bin
libdir=/home/tmac/src/debian/mpich2/mpich2/debian/tmp//usr/lib
includedir=/home/tmac/src/debian/mpich2/mpich2/debian/tmp//usr/include/mpich2
install

The problem is that in the Makefile in that directory, the expression
${DESTDIR}${exec_prefix} is used. This amounts to the incorrect path:

/home/tmac/src/debian/mpich2/mpich2/debian/tmp//usr/home/tmac/src/debian/mpich2/mpich2/debian/tmp//usr

The end result is that some files are installed to that incorrect path...

On a related note, how does the mpich2 build behave of both the following are
being done?:

./configure --prefix=/some/folder
make DESTDIR=/another/folder
make DESTDIR=/another/folder install