[mpich-discuss] Running MPIEXEC on Windows 7

Phelan Jr., Frederick R. Dr. frederick.phelan at nist.gov
Tue Apr 12 14:02:36 CDT 2011

Alan,

I had tons of problems getting MPICH to fly. The procedure below finally worked for me (culled from various sources):

	1. Uninstall previous version of MPICH2
	2. Open an admin command prompt by right-clicking on the command prompt icon and selecting "run as administrator"
	3. Run "msiexec /i mpich2-1.3.2p1-win-ia32.msi" from the admin command prompt to install MPICH2
	4. During installation select that MPICH2 be installed for "Everyone" for all users.
	5. Run wmpiconfig and store username/password.
	6. Add "C:\Program Files\MPICH2\bin" to system Path and reboot
	7. Check smpd using 'smpd -status'. it should return 'smpd running on $hostname$'
	8. To test execution environment, go to the directory $MPICHROOT\examples and run cpi.exe using: 'mpiexec -n 4 cpi'

Sources:
Pasted from <http://lists.mcs.anl.gov/pipermail/mpich-discuss/2010-February/006529.html>
Pasted from <http://lists.mcs.anl.gov/pipermail/mpich-discuss/2011-January/008826.html>

One last thing ... even on a 64-bit system, you may need the 32-bit version depending on what binary you are running. I have a 32-bit binary, the instructions above reflect installation of the 32-bit version of MPICH2 for that reason.

Fred