[mpich-discuss] Suppressed Output

Padilla, Eduardo Antonio eapadil at sandia.gov
Wed Sep 8 16:13:02 CDT 2010

All,
I recently installed the current version of MPICH2 1.2.1p1 on a 32-bit XP Pro machine with 8 cores (the machine is 64-bit but the OS is 32). I'm trying to run MCNPX threading all 8 cores. My command line is as follows:
mpiexec -localonly 8 mcnpx i=filename...

This ran great exactly twice. However, now when I run it I see MCNPX start up normally, create the initial files and then:
Dynamic storage = 0 words, 0 bytes. Cp0 = 0.00
Master starting 7 by 1 subtasks 09/03/10 (time)
Master sending static commons...
Master sending dynamic commons...
Master completed initialization broadcasts.
Rendezvous at nps = 1000 # of microtasks = 7 (date time - this is MCNPX language here)
Rendezvous at nps =***************** of microtasks = 7 (date time - this is MCNPX talk but confusing to me)

At this point, all 8 cores are running full bore in task manager, but the process gets hung up. The output files are never written or updated (data dumps don't occur). When I run based on a set number of particle histories (not based on cpu time), the process seems to work fine. I assume a simple setting got changed somewhere?
Regards,
Eduardo Padilla
Sandia National Labs