[mpich-discuss] try to install MPICH2 on SGI under local account

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Wed May 26 22:06:21 CDT 2010

Aha. It looks like a timestamp issue. Your "make" is causing simplemake
to be re-executed, which should never happen unless the timestamp of the
Makefile.in is more recent than the Makefile.

There are a bunch of problems that need to be fixed here:

1. When the time stamps don't match for released versions, we should
just throw an error during make, instead of leading to such cryptic bugs.

2. You should not have to give the --with-atomic-primitives=no option
when using --with-device=ch3:sock.

3. For some reason you are getting incorrect time stamps for your files.

(1) and (2) are a problem with MPICH2, which I'll fix. (3) is a problem
with your setup. Are your files on an NFS server, or some other shared
file system? Can you make sure the time stamp on your login node (or
which ever node you are building MPICH2 on) is the same as your file
server? Alternatively, you can try building on a local file-system such
as /tmp. Your prefix can still be /u/home/rum06003/mpi.

  -- Pavan