[mpich-discuss] comparison of execution times:

sankar s keanesankar at gmail.com
Sun May 23 06:01:38 CDT 2010

Hi,

I have done a simulation program in C, which contains 500 Replications. In
sequential code these 500 replications will be done one by one and the
combined results will be posted in output at last.

Same code I have written for MPI. first 250 replications in processor 0 and
next 250 replications in processor 1. after completion of processor 0, it
will send these results to processor 1. Processor 1 combines all the results
and gives the output.

I expected, because of doing these parallelism, the execution time of MPI
should be half or some what more than half than sequential code.

But parallel code is  taking less than half execution time of sequential
code. Some times (1/3rd also). Results point of view it is good. But I don't
understand why it is taking less than half time?

am using DELL  core2duo processor and windows 7 OS.

Thank you