[mpich-discuss] Node vs CPU control

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Mar 19 12:50:11 CDT 2010

If you drop the ":4" from the end of each line of your hostfile then
processes will be assigned in round-robin order (nodeA, nodeB,
nodeC, ..., nodeA, nodeB, etc).  This will spread your processes out
in the 16-process case, but in the 64-process case your ranks will not
be assigned sequentially to each node.  That may or may not be a
problem for your applications.

If you want a sequential mapping sometimes and a round-robin mapping
other times, you will need to use two different host files and specify
the non-default one via "mpiexec -machinefile your_file OTHER_ARGS".

-Dave