[mpich-discuss] mpich2-1.2.1p1 and Intel 11 Compiler

Jose F Rodriguez jfrodrig1971 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 09:49:12 CDT 2010

Dear all,

I am experiencing problems using mpich2 complied with intel 11 and running a fortran program. In my previous installation, we used gcc 4.2 with intel 10 and mpich 1.07 in a quad core AMD with Ubuntu and everything goes fine. Even in our cluster with mvapich2-1.2p1, gcc 4.1.1 and intel 10.1 there are no problems.

At this moment we are trying to install mpich2-1.2.1p1 with intel 11 and gcc 4.4 (the latest version of all compilers) in a quad core AMD as well as in a quad core Intel I5. The result in both cases is the same, a segmentation fault occurs in a call to a mpi_sendrecv routine in fortran when attempting to send a double_precision array. We have try compiling the mpich with all possible alternatives for ch3 but nothing. Our configuration looks like this (This configuration is the same we have used for our working  mpich2)

CC=icc FC=ifort CXX=icpc CFLAGS="-fomit-frame-pointer -ip" FFLAGS="-fomit-frame-pointer -ip" ./configure --enable-fast --enable-f77 --with-device=ch3:shm 2>&1 | tee c.txt
make 2>&1 | tee m.txt

We have also tried compiling mpich 1.07 with the new intel and gcc compilers and the result is still the same. In addition, if you compile mpich 1.07 with intel 10 and the gcc 4.4 compiler you get a configuration error in mpich "timer not found". I guess this last error is due to the fact that gcc 4.4 is newer than intel 10 causing some incompatibilities.

However, can somebody help in pointing where the problem with the last version of mpich2, intel compiler and gcc could be?. It is important to keep in mind that we are using them with a fortran program.

Thank you in advance for all you help

jose