[mpich-discuss] what is MPID_NEM_CELL_LEN for?

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Mar 15 11:34:31 CDT 2010

On Mar 15, 2010, at 10:52 AM, Bin Bao wrote:

> In MPICH2-1.21 src/mpid/ch3/channels/nemesis/nemesis/include/
> mpid_nem_datatypes.h, MPID_NEM_CELL_LEN is defined to control the
> size of a "cell", and there are some comments explain the "cell",
> "packet", and "payload". But in general, what is the purpose of the
> whole thing? Is there any document I can refer to?

Cells are queue elements used for shared memory communication in
nemesis.  Their usage is described in [1] and [2], although contrary
to those papers they are no longer used for communication between
network modules and the core of nemesis.

I think they are called "queue elements" in [1], but "cells" in [2].

-Dave

[1] http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~buntinas/papers/ccgrid06-nemesis.pdf
[2] http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~buntinas/papers/europvmmpi06-nemesis.pdf