[mpich-discuss] mpich2-1.2.1p1 - cannot create regular file `/index.htm': Permission denied

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Mar 11 11:30:50 CST 2010

For some reason the build system is attempting to re-run many of the
autotools (aclocal, autoheader, autoconf, etc) in some of the
subdirectories of your build.  These fail for various reasons,
including that your autotools versions aren't compatible with MPICH2.
The real problem is that the autotools are being re-run, you shouldn't
need to have them installed on your system at all.

When the various autotools fail to run correctly the build still
continues for some reason, but with many incorrect values set.  This
leads to the "cannot create regular file" errors that you are seeing.

Did you modify something in the source directory?  Perhaps a file
ending in ".in" or ".am" or ".sm"?  A fresh un-tar and build of
mpich2-1.2.1p1 shouldn't generally have this problem...

-Dave