[mpich-discuss] MPI IO on lustre

burlen burlen.loring at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 14:28:51 CST 2010

Our simulation that is currently running on order of 1E4 processes, and
fast approaching 1E5 processes. IO is a substantial bottleneck.

The book "Using MPI-2: Advanced Features of the Message-Passsing
Interface" makes the case that collective IO is one of the best option
for an HPC application. In contrast I have read more recent studies
which show that MPI-IO performs poorly on Lustre fs which is deployed
ubiquitously on the systems we use. Some study even advocate abandoning
MPI-IO in place of single file direct access via posix api. Which is to
say MPI-IO delivers no optimization at all.

I am very curious as to the current state of Lustre ADIO in mpich2 , and
its future direction. Obviously fine tuning of both Lustre parameters
and MPI-IO hints for the specific situation are critical. If the fine
tuning is done reasonably well, can we expect high-preformance from MPI
collective IO on Lustre fs currently or in the near term?

Thanks
Burlen