[mpich-discuss] MPE tracing

chan at mcs.anl.gov chan at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jun 21 11:22:41 CDT 2010

----- "Georges Markomanolis" <georges.markomanolis at ens-lyon.fr> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I want to ask you about the MPE's libraries. While I use the logging
> library for an application, I dump the clog file with the command
> clog2print (is the right way to see the content of the files?).

No, you should use the command jumpshot to "view" clog2 file.

> Although
> my application executes MPI_Bcast commands I can't see them. From the
> manual I read that nested calls are not taken into account, like
> MPI_Bcast. Is this why I can't see any MPI_Bcast?

No. nested call probably is irrelevant here.

> Moreover when I link
> with the tracing library I can see the MPI_Bcast commands. So in the
> case that I want to know about all the MPI commands I should use
> tracing
> not logging? I don't need the timestamps and the visualization.

If you have access to the source code and you don't care about the order
of MPI calls being executed, you can simply use "grep" of string that
is prefixed with MPI_, e.g.

grep "MPI_[A-Za-z_]*(" *.c

If you still need to do logging, you can send me how you linked/compiled
to enable MPE logging (I suspect something wrong there).

A.Chan