[mpich-discuss] machinefile error

SULLIVAN David (AREVA) David.Sullivan at areva.com
Tue Jul 20 07:13:09 CDT 2010

Hello all,

I am having some issues executing a program through mpiexec. I can run
locally on a 4-core processor with no problem using the -host switch.
When I define a machinefile I get the following error:
" Too few entries in machinefile"
This error is not covered in the manual or FAQs and Google has been of
little assistance. I have tried the following to no avail:

1. An old entry in the list-serve archives recommended a series of
commands like the following  mpiexec -machinefile mf1.txt -n 1 cpi.exe :
-machinefile mf2.txt -n 2   This yields the same error for too few
entries.

2. The wiki recommends two course of actions :
    a) using the -f switch instead of the -machinefile    This gets an
error that -f needs to be used on its own
    b) setting the HYDRA_HOST_FILE variable with no need for any
additional switch. This just runs all processes on the local machine

I am attempting to run a parallel program written by Los Alamos across
three nodes, each with 4 cores per node. Any assistance would be greatly
appreciated

David Sullivan

AREVA NP INC

400 Donald Lynch Boulevard

Marlborough, MA, 01752

Phone: (508) 573-6721

Fax: (434) 382-5597

David.Sullivan at AREVA.com <mailto:David.Sullivan at AREVA.com>