[mpich-discuss] Compilation of MPCH2-1.2.1 is failing onSunSolaris 10 (Sparc)

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jan 21 17:06:55 CST 2010

It looks like the CH3 configure step didn't entirely complete, so a
bunch of configure-generated files are missing.  Line 454 of your
previously attached c.txt is particularly suspect:

--------8<--------
/petara1/mpich2/mpich2-1.2.1/src/mpid/ch3/configure: MY_EXPORTED_LIBS=
-lpthread: is not an identifier
--------8<--------

Aha! As I'm writing this I think I see the problem.  There's a bash/
zsh-ism in src/mpid/ch3/configure.in, line 311:

--------8<--------
export MY_EXPORTED_LIBS="$LIBS"
--------8<--------

I don't have the time to do it today, but I can try to build you a
release tarball with a fixed version tomorrow.  The fix should be to
separate out the assignment from the export:

--------8<--------
MY_EXPORTED_LIBS="$LIBS"
export MY_EXPORTED_LIBS

You are welcome to make that change yourself, but you'll need to
regenerate the configure from the configure.in by running "./maint/
updatefiles" in the source tree, which itself requires particular
versions of the autotools and some other utilities.  Alternatively,
you can edit "src/mpid/ch3/configure" in the build tree directly, but
I can't tell you exactly which line to change.  You'll just have to
search for MY_EXPORTED_LIBS and make the change wherever it is.

-Dave