[mpich-discuss] mpiexec.hydra does not work in ClearCase vobs

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jan 14 12:51:23 CST 2010

On Jan 14, 2010, at 12:42 PM, chong tan wrote:

> if the wdir is in ClearCaseVob.  Getting this error:
>
> [proxy at cappy] HYD_pmcd_pmi_proxy_launch_procs (./pm/pmiserv/
> pmi_proxy_utils.c:658): unable to change wdir (No such file or
> directory)

Not sure about this here.  My limited understanding of ClearCase is
that it provides its VCS capabilities in large part through a custom
filesystem that is mounted on the machine.  So it's entirely possible
that hydra and that filesystem are not interacting correctly.

Unfortunately I don't believe that we have access to ClearCase here at
ANL, so it will be very difficult for us to reproduce and debug the
problem.  Pavan may have an idea of what's going on here, but
otherwise we would welcome any patches or assistance that you can
offer figuring out what's going on.

> Another issue: it ask for my passwd on 'localhost' when I run
> mpiexec.hydra locally.  This does not make much sense as I am
> already logged in.

It makes sense for various implementation reasons when you are using
the default bootstrap server, "ssh".  If you only wish to run
processes on the current node, you can use the "fork" bootstrap server:

http://wiki.mcs.anl.gov/mpich2/index.php/Using_the_Hydra_Process_Manager#Bootstrap_Servers

Basically pass "-bootstrap fork" to mpiexec or set the HYDRA_BOOTSTRAP
environment variable to fork.

-Dave