[mpich-discuss] smpd on windows 7

Sherry Frese Sherry.Frese at Numerex-LLC.com
Mon Jan 4 10:16:45 CST 2010

Jayesh,

Thanks for the response, but it still does not work.

Previously I had just been executing the .msi file from my admin
account.  This time I uninstalled (which said it was successful) and
then installed the MPICH2, using msiexec from the command line as you
suggested.  The GUI came up,  and all seemed fine (I kept the default
smpd password and installed for all users).  And indeed, as before I
have all  the MPICH2 directories and files in my Program File (x86)
directory.  However the smpd service is not being installed.

I've checked on the Task manager - it's not there.
I tried    sc \\hostname query smpd      and it  now says

[SC] EnumQueryServicesStatus: OpenService FAILED  1060:
The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

My parallel executable is called m2.  When I try

   mpiexec  -n 1 -localonly  m2

I get a request for the smpd passphrase , which I supply.

mpiexec (I assume) then comes back with

Unknown option : -d
missing numproc flag: -n , -np, -hosts,  or -localonly
Unable to parse mipexec command arguments
ReadFile() Failed, error 109
unable to start the local smpd manager

I get the same response if I try    mpiexec  -n 2
-localonly  m2    or     mpiexec  -localonly 1 m2 .

I'm pretty sure that the problem is that the smpd service is not
being installed.

One additional  piece of info.  This is a 64 bit machine, and the m2
I am running is a 32 bit version.  But it runs fine in serial on this machine.

Thanks for you  help,
Sherry