[mpich-discuss] Using MPICH2 with shared memeory

Darius Buntinas buntinas at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Apr 13 09:28:08 CDT 2010

Socket connections are created for process management (between the
mpiexec process and MPD processes and between the MPD processes and the
MPI processes).  However communication between the MPI processes will
use shared memory.  We don't use sysv shared memory because of the
limits on the number and size of segments.  Instead we create temporary
files and mmap them.

You should, however, see a significant difference in performance on a
multicore machine.  Try a latency benchmark (e.g., osu_latency from the
OMB: http://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/benchmarks ).  Using nemesis, you
can force all communication to go through the network by setting the
MPICH_NO_LOCAL environment variable for comparison:

For shared memory performance:
     mpiexec -n 2 osu_latency
For sockets performance:
     MPICH_NO_LOCAL=1 mpiexec -n 2 osu_latency

Here's a website on tips for measuring shared memory latency:
http://wiki.mcs.anl.gov/mpich2/index.php/Measuring_Nemesis_Performance

-d