[mpich-discuss] Using MPICH2 with shared memeory

Dai-Hee Kim m765121 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 06:25:45 CDT 2010

Hello, everyone

I am testing MPICH2 on 24 cores SMP machine.
And, I installed MPICH2 with three devices (nemesis, ssm, shm) separately
and run parallel program with each device.

However, it seems that no device was using shared memory when I checked the
performance
and network status using netstat command (a lot of sockets created for self
connection)
Of course, I could not see any shared memory segments through ipcs -m and
free commands

I compiled MPICH2 with three devices by below configuration options
respectively

./configure --prefix=.../nemesis --enable-fast=03 --with-device=ch3:nemesis
./configure --prefix=.../ssm       --enable-fast=03 --with-device=ch3:ssm
./configure --prefix=.../shm --enable-fast=03 --with-device=ch3:shm

and complied and run the parallel program using scripts (mpif90 and
mpiexec) in different prefix directory depending on which device I used for
testing.

Do I need to put some another options for installing MPICH2 or running the
parallel program with shared memory?
Is there anything I missed?

I really appreciate for your concern.

Thank you.