[mpich-discuss] confusing range of cpu usage for mpi job

Iain Hannah iain at astro.gla.ac.uk
Mon Sep 21 11:54:07 CDT 2009

I'm a mpi newbie so please forgive my ignorance/stupid question.

I'm running some absoft complied fortran f90 simulation code on a
cluster and getting some strange performance issues. At the moment I'm
limiting my runs to a single machine in the cluster, containing 4 quad
core opterons (8378) so 16 cores.

The simulation is a grid in velocity and space with evolves in time and
so is relatively easy to split the grid across several cpus with mpi.
But when I run the code on multiple cores I don't get 100% on each one.
I don't even get an equal % of use across each but a fairly linear
spread of usage (info via top).

i.e.
mpiexec -n 4 ./code gives 90%, 60%, 50%, 40% (90sec to reach t_test)
mpiexec -n 8 ./code gives 70% through to 30% (61 sec "      ")
mpiexec -n 16 ./code gives 60% through to 15% (53 sec " ")

I wouldn't expect the code to run 2x or 4x faster going from -n4 to -n8
or n-16 but I'm getting such a small increase.

If this was purely latency between cores then surely they would all give
the same % of usage? I though mpi was as fast as the slowest processor?
The simulation is solving the same equations over and equal size part of
the grid per cpuso I don't udnerstand why there is such a range of cpu
useage.

So is this normal or have I configured mpich2 wrongly or running it wrongly?

Cheers
Iain