[mpich-discuss] Can ch3:nemesis:mx use both MX and TCP networks ?

Audet, Martin Martin.Audet at imi.cnrc-nrc.gc.ca
Tue Oct 13 11:00:42 CDT 2009

MPI_Users/MPI_Developers,

I always thought (but never tested) that the ch3:nemesis:mx channel has the ability to independently select either MX or TCP to communicate between any pair of MPI processes when shared memory communication isn't possible (e.g. the two process run on different nodes).

However after carefully reading the README file, I fear mpich2 doesn't have this flexibility that is, network communication with the ch3:nemesis:mx channel is always done using MX (of course network communication occurs when shared memory communication isn't possible).

Can someone clarify this ?

When shared memory communication isn't possible, does the ch3:nemesis:mx channel has the ability to independently select either MX or TCP to communicate between two MPI processes ?

Thanks,

Martin