[mpich-discuss] MPICH2 and Windows Vista

ian.chivers at chiversandbryan.co.uk ian.chivers at chiversandbryan.co.uk
Thu Oct 8 10:52:51 CDT 2009

I'm having problems running mpich2 under windows vista.

The systems are running

System A:  vista home premium sp2 64 bit - mpich2-1.0.8-win-x86-640
System B:  vista home premium sp2 64 bit - mpich2-1.1.1p1-win-x86-64
System C:  vista home basic   sp2 32 bit - mpich2-1.1.1p1win-ia32

earlier this year I had system A working. B and C were installed
this week.

On system A all I remember having to do was switch the
Windows firewall off.

with A, B and C I have now tried switching off

   Windows firewall
   User Account Control

On system A i can do

   smpd -install

and from another dos box I can run

   smpd -status

and this reports that smpd is running.

However when trying

mpiexec -n 4 mpi_example01.exe

i get

launch failed: CreateProcess(mpi_example01.exe) on 'hornbeam' failed,
error 5 -
Access is denied.

launch failed: CreateProcess(mpi_example01.exe) on 'hornbeam' failed,
error 5 -
Access is denied.

launch failed: CreateProcess(mpi_example01.exe) on 'hornbeam' failed,
error 5 -
Access is denied.

launch failed: CreateProcess(mpi_example01.exe) on 'hornbeam' failed,
error 5 -
Access is denied.

I get similar problems on B and C.

Is this problem resolvable with Vista?

If not what versions of the Windows operating system do
people recommend with MPICH2?

It is quite frustrating because I was getting quite good
program speed up on the quad core system earlier this year.

thanks in advance

ian chivers