[mpich-discuss] Is stand alone MPI executable possible?

Jayesh Krishna jayesh at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Oct 2 15:39:46 CDT 2009

Hi,
  MPICH2 has a set of runtime components required to run your MPI job. So
you will have to package your MPI program with the MPICH2 components
required to run your MPI program before distributing it to your users
(i.e., you will have to install MPICH2 manually using your own install
program).
  Please follow the steps below when distributing your MPI application
(these are the steps followed by our users who distribute MPI apps),

# Compile your MPI program with MPICH2
# Package the tools in the <MPICH2-INSTALL-DIR>\bin directory (Based on
your requirement. For a basic setup package mpiexec.exe & smpd.exe) with
your pgm.
# Package the MPICH2 dlls. (Look for mpich2*.dll, mpe*.dll & fmpich*.dll
in your c:\windows\system32 directory) with your pgm.
# When installing your MPI program,
---- install the MPICH2 program manager, smpd, using the "-install" option
(smpd -install).
---- Copy the MPICH2 dlls to c:\windows\system32 (based on your system
this could change - I would recommend using an installer & its support
vars) directory

 Let us know if you need further help.

Regards,
Jayesh