[mpich-discuss] mpich-discuss Digest, Vol 14, Issue 37

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Nov 24 14:37:06 CST 2009

Also, if you need particularly high bandwidth intranode communication
and you have root privilege on your machines, you might consider
installing the knem kernel module included in the contrib/knem
directory of the MPICH2 source tree.  Then configure MPICH2 with "--
with-nemesis-local-lmt=knem" (see the README in the same directory).
Information about knem performance benefits can be found in the
following paper:

http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/docs/00/39/00/64/PDF/article.pdf

This is an alternative mechanism to the default nemesis mechanism and
is not strictly a "fair" comparison to the mechanism in the shm
channel, which does not have any kernel-level assistance.

-Dave