[mpich-discuss] mpich-discuss Digest, Vol 14, Issue 37

Darius Buntinas buntinas at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Nov 24 14:06:29 CST 2009

We have noticed performance issues as well on certain machines, but we
haven't pinned the cause down yet.

BTW, process-core binding is very important for getting consistent
performance measurements, especially for intranode communication.
You'll get the best performance when the processes share an L2 cache.

Here's a page with hints on how to get the best benchmark performance
from mpich2:
http://wiki.mcs.anl.gov/mpich2/index.php/Measuring_Nemesis_Performance

Can you send us the output of the following commands on the machine
you're running the benchmarks on to help us debug the performance
problem you're seeing?

ls /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cache/index*/shared_cpu_map
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cache/index*/shared_cpu_map
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cache/index*/size

Thanks
-d