[mpich-discuss] Need some help getting mpich to work

Hung-Hsun Su su at hcs.ufl.edu
Tue Nov 24 12:50:37 CST 2009

Unfortunately, the latest release did not solve the issue. It actually
introduces new bug. After installation, mpdboot cannot setup the
environment correctly. It freezes when I make the following call.

[su at alpha ~]$ which mpdboot
/home/su/software/mpich2-1.2.1/bin/mpdboot
[su at alpha ~]$ mpdboot -n 32 --ncpus=1 -f /home/su/mpd.hosts

After I killed the process and found out that only 4/31 of the compute
nodes were setup

[su at alpha ~]$ mpdtrace
alpha
compute-0-3
compute-0-1
compute-0-0
compute-0-2

I then tried setting up using the 1.2 version and it works fine.

[su at alpha ~]$ /home/su/software/mpich2-1.2/bin/mpdboot -n 32 --ncpus=1
-f /home/su/mpd.hosts
[su at alpha ~]$ mpdtrace
alpha
compute-0-3
compute-0-11
compute-0-10
compute-0-9
compute-0-8
compute-0-1
compute-0-15
compute-0-14
compute-0-13
compute-0-12
compute-0-0
compute-0-19
compute-0-27
compute-0-26
compute-0-25
compute-0-24
compute-0-18
compute-0-30
compute-0-29
compute-0-28
compute-0-17
compute-0-16
compute-0-2
compute-0-7
compute-0-6
compute-0-5
compute-0-4
compute-0-23
compute-0-22
compute-0-21
compute-0-20

I then tried ran make testing and got even more error. Anyone has an
idea of what is going on?

Hung-Hsun

PS. I've attached the output files from various steps
c.txt - configuration
m.txt - make
mi.txt - make install
mpd.hosts - my machine file
mtest.txt - make testing
summary.xml - output in test/mpi directory from make testing

Email: su at hcs.ufl.edu, hunghsun at ufl.edu