[mpich-discuss] Query re getting started with MPICH in a Windows XP system

jayesh at mcs.anl.gov jayesh at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 23 09:05:26 CST 2009

Hi,
 The job launcher, mpiexec, requires a valid username/password (local user on the machine or a domain user) to launch MPI jobs. The passphrase (default is "behappy") is used by the MPICH2 runtime system to authenticate between its components (Not related to user running the job).
 Try "mpiexec -whoami" at the command prompt to know your username. When prompted for a username/password you need to specify the username and the user's password (I would recommend going to the control panel and setting a password for the user if you don't have it set).
 Let us know if it works.

(PS: A command "mpiexec -n 2 hostname" should work if the username/password is registered correctly.)
Regards,
Jayesh