[mpich-discuss] Problems with configuring MPICH with cross compiler

chan at mcs.anl.gov chan at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Nov 11 21:37:01 CST 2009

----- "junli gu" <gujunli at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes. The configuration finished successfully with --disable-romio.
> Interesting. But I am not sure whether the binaries it produced are
> correct alpha binaries.

Try do a file command on the binary created by mpicc, e.g. file a.out.
(mpicc should use alpha-gcc as compiler/linker)

> And I am confused with another question. What does the binaries have
> produced by mpicc? Do they have the runtime information for
> running?And What
> does the mpiexec do? Does it need the runtime lib ?I want to run the
> binaries on a simulator, I used the comman as usual:
> mpiexec -np 4 /benchmark/hello
> The simulator said no mpiexec command. That's not wired. I am trying
> to install MPICH on disk image of the simulator. If it does not work, Is
> there any option that I can run the binaries without mpiexec command?

You need to install MPICH2 to a filesystem accessible by your simulator.
The --prefix option specifies the install directory, and "make install"
will install all the relevant files to the install directory.  The README
file or the install guide has more details.

The default process manager is mpd which requires python.  I am not sure
your simulator has python.  But since it is a simulator, you could use
gforker (or maybe hydra)

mpiexec.gforker -n 4 cpilog

(or mpiexec.hydra -n 4 cpilog)

A.Chan