[mpich-discuss] Socket closed

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Nov 4 08:53:13 CST 2009

When using TCP, the "socket closed" reported on a process A is usually
a sign that there was actually a failure in some other process B.  An
example would be B segfaulting for some reason, anywhere in the code
(including your user code) and then crashing.  The OS tends to report
the broken TCP connection before the MPICH2 process management system
realizes that the process has died, killing one or more of B's peers
(like A).  Then the process management system receives an explicit
MPI_Abort from the MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL error handler, still before it
has noticed that B is already dead, and reports the failure from
process A instead.

It is unlikely that you are experiencing the same underlying problem
as ticket #838, despite the similar symptoms.  Are there any messages
from the process manager about exit codes for your processes?
Sometimes you'll see a bunch of "signal 9" (SIGKILL) and then one or
more "signal 11" (SIGSEGV) or "signal 10" (SIGBUS).  The SIGKILLs are
the process manager killing the rest of the job, but the SIGSEGV/BUS
is a memory bug either in the application or in MPICH2.

Do you have core dumps enabled?  If your "process B" segfaulted (maybe
ran out of memory?) then you can check the core file to see what
happened.

-Dave