[mpich-discuss] [mpich2-announce] Announcing the availability of MPICH2-1.1b1

Joe Ratterman jratt0 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 12:59:15 CDT 2009

Dave and Pavan,

*1)*
The most subtle problem I found related to the use of MPID_Segment_pack by
MPIR_Localcopy in src/mpi/coll/helper_fns.c.  It passes the variable "last"
of type "MPIDI_msg_sz_t" as "&last" to the pack/unpack functions, which are
expecting an MPI_Aint*.  On our system, *MPIDI_msg_sz_t is an unsigned*, and
*MPI_Aint is a long long*.  This means that MPID_Segment_pack clobbers too
much memory.  To fix this, I changed "last" to be an MPI_Aint, and it works
fine.  I think that means that
A)  "last" should be an MPI_Aint, or
B)  Segment_*pack() should take a MPIDI_msg_sz_t*, or
C)  MPIDI_msg_sz_t should be the same as MPI_Aint.

I don't really know what the answer is.  However, I caught this thanks to a
compiler warning, and our other uses of MPIDI_msg_sz_t do not generate
warnings.  I think that means that MPIDI_msg_sz_t is the correct size.

*2)*
I'm still having issues with "MPIU_Find_local_and_external".  I am getting
the fall-back version (judging from the line numbers), but it prints a lot
of these messages:

stderr[2]: Internal Error: invalid error code 1312d10 (Ring Index out of
range) in MPIU_Find_local_and_external:213
stderr[0]: Internal Error: invalid error code 1312d10 (Ring Index out of
range) in MPIU_Find_local_and_external:213
stderr[3]: Internal Error: invalid error code 1312d10 (Ring Index out of
range) in MPIU_Find_local_and_external:213
stderr[1]: Internal Error: invalid error code 1312d10 (Ring Index out of
range) in MPIU_Find_local_and_external:213

Changing the whole of that function to "return MPI_ERR_UNKNOWN;" still seems
to work fine.  Is there a way to be sure that the "MPIU_ERR_SETANDJUMP"
doesn't print anything?

Thanks,
Joe Ratterman
jratt at us.ibm.com