[mpich-discuss] MPICH2 and Process Affinity

林智仁 seiferlin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 22:04:51 CDT 2009

HI all:

I noticed that the Intel MPI has the feature about process pinning which
avoids the undesired process migration.

My questions are

1. Is there a similar way in MPICH2 or I have to use
SetProcessAffinityMask() in Windows to pin all my MPI processes to the
specific logical processor/core ?
    (If a process is pinned to a specific logical processor, the CPU loading
histroy from the Windows task manager is smoother rather than lots of
zigzags.)

2. Does the process migration cause large penalty in parallel computing ?

Best regards.

Seifer Lin