[mpich-discuss] Large Message Sizes with Mpich2 V 1.0.8

Arsenault, Benoit arsenaultb at aecl.ca
Tue Mar 17 13:41:39 CDT 2009

UNRESTRICTED | ILLIMITÉ

Rajeev,

Similar problems were experienced by other MCNP users.  The feedback that I received from a user was to re-compile the code with a modified version of mpich2 in order to handle large messages.  I browsed the documentation for mpich2 and haven't found any limitation that would explain why my runs crash when I use large models.

Since yesterday I modified the MCNP source code for debugging purposes and realized that the crash happens when the send buffer is being initialized.  I assume that MCNP is trying to send out large amount of information and requires significant resources on the system.  The amount of memory consumed by the system is larger than the RAM + swap space.

I will try to increase the swap space on my system and hopefully this will help me out to narrow down the problem.

Thanks

Benoit