[mpich-discuss] SMP and mpd.hosts

Torquil Macdonald Sørensen torquil at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 11:41:48 CDT 2009

Torquil Macdonald Sørensen wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I would like to ask for some help concerning the use of MPICH2 1.1 on
>> a dual-core machine with Linux. My mpich2 innstallation uses the
>> nemesis communication device, which I thought was able to utilise both
>> cores, in addition to communicate through the network.
>>
>>  From before (maybe from mpich1?) I had a mpd.hosts file with the
>> following syntax:
>>
>> dagda.uio.no:2
>> #styx.uio.no:2
>>
>> where the :2 was to indicate the number of CPUS. styx.uio.no is
>> commented out because this time I want two processes to run on
>> dagda.uio.no. But I am no longer sure of this syntax since I cannot
>> find it in the documentation. I was hoping that the following would work:
>>
>> $ mpdboot -n 2
>> $ mpiexec -n 2 ./Executable
>>
>> However, mpdboot complains:
>>
>> "totalnum=2  numhosts=1
>> there are not enough hosts on which to start all processes"
>>
>> What it the common method to run a program so that it will be able to
>> distribute itself across several cpu-cores in one machine, and also
>> across the network, if I e.g. decomment styx.uio.no and use -n 4 in
>> the above commands?
>>
>> Best regards
>> Torquil Sørensen
>>

> It seems to be possible to get two processes by using "mpdboot -1 -n 2".
>   I guess that means that it starts more than one mpd. In that case
> "mpiexec -n prog" works. So I guess I was suffering a limitation of max
> one process per mpd?
>
> -Torquil

Ah now I see my mistake. In mpdboot -n 2, n stands for number of hosts,
but in mpiexec it is number of processses... It works with

mpdboot -n 2
mpiexec -n 4 prog

when I have uncommented styx in the mpd.hosts. And I would run "mpdboot
-n 1" together with "mpiexec -n 2 prog" to use both cores on only one
machine.

Sorry for the noise... :-)

Best regards
Torquil Sørensen