[mpich-discuss] PMI documentation

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Aug 27 13:28:20 CDT 2009

Hi Ashley,

There are two parts to PMI -- one is the PMI interface itself, and the
other is the wire protocol to talk to the process manager. PMI-1 (the
first generation, which is the default now) has a bunch of interface
functions. There isn't a good up-to-date document for this,
unfortunately, but it's simple enough that you can just look at the
header file in src/include/pmi.h for most of the information (there's
good documentation in there). PMI-1 does not standardize the wire
protocol, so there are different implementations for it including the
default simple PMI protocol, smpd PMI protocol and slurm PMI protocol.
You can find some more information on this here:
http://wiki.mcs.anl.gov/mpich2/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Q:_All_my_processes_get_rank_0.

I also want to point out that our current effort is on PMI-2 (the second
generation of the PMI interface). This is still being formulated, so
things might (and will likely) change based on feedback on various
folks. You can find more information on PMI2 on the below links:

http://wiki.mcs.anl.gov/mpich2/index.php/PMI_v2_Design_Thoughts
http://wiki.mcs.anl.gov/mpich2/index.php/PMI_v2_API
http://wiki.mcs.anl.gov/mpich2/index.php/PMI_v2_Wire_Protocol

  -- Pavan