[mpich-discuss] A bit of clarification on Bcast - Send - Recv

Hiatt, Dave M dave.m.hiatt at citi.com
Wed Aug 26 16:18:56 CDT 2009

First, I apologize for "if you node", if A node, sorry I think a lot faster than I can type (thank goodness for that).

My question revolves around a statement on Pg 66 of Using MPI, which led me to believe that I could use MPI::Recv to receive MPI::Bcast messages.  "An MPI::Recv does not have to check whether the message it has just received is part of a broadcast .....".  But in every attempt I have made to us MPI::Recv, it never responds to a MPI::Bcast.  I have assumed that I am making some bonehead mistake, but am now totally frustrated that I have failed to get this to work.  MPI::Bcast on the receiving node works fine as a receiver, but MPI::Recv does not for broadcast messages.  I am on 1.0.7 of MPICH2 by the way.

Thanks again
Dave

"Premature optimization is the root of all evil" - Donald Knuth
Dave Hiatt
Manager, Market Risk Systems Integration
CitiMortgage, Inc.
1000 Technology Dr.
Third Floor East, M.S. 55
O'Fallon, MO 63368-2240