[mpich-discuss] Can't get MPICH2 to work on a MAC - Need Help

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Aug 14 17:39:05 CDT 2009

Ron,

It looks like you are trying to mix MPICH2 and OpenMPI.  MPICH2's
fortran libraries are named libmpich, libfmpich, and libmpichf90,
while OpenMPI uses libmpi and libmpi_f77 (etc...).  How did you
compile your application?  You should use the compiler wrappers (mpicc/
mpif77/etc) that were installed by the "make install" step.

Mac OS X comes with a version of OpenMPI installed in the /usr
directory (not /usr/local) by default.  Make sure that you didn't
accidentally compile with those compiler wrappers instead.

Also, if you installed MPICH2 to /usr/local and then installed a copy
of OpenMPI to /usr/local, you will probably have problems.  As far as
I know you cannot install both MPI implementations to the same prefix
because of the name conflicts for the compiler wrappers and mpiexec.

-Dave