[mpich-discuss] Changes to MPICH2

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Apr 7 07:24:46 CDT 2009

Eduardo,

> I was able to add my new parameter and when calling configure with it,
> I then have #define HAVE_PERUSE set to 1 in mpichconf.h

mpichconf.h is autogenerated by configure, so you shouldn't change that
directly. If you add a AC_DEFINE() inside configure.in, it'll
automatically get added to mpichconf.h

> My question now is: how do I actually make src/peruse/*.c into MPICH2?
> Sorry but I'm not much used to autotools stuff, and MPICH2 seems to
> use it even more extensively then the simple softwares I'm used to
> touch (you know... one configure and one Makefile).

Actually, it's not too complicated once you know how things work. First,
you need your USE_PERUSE definition to go into mpichconf.h, so as I
pointed out, it needs a configure.in change at the top-level. Then, you
need simplemake to recognize your new directory --- all this means is
that you add the src/peruse directory into the src/Makefile.sm file
(this will generate src/Makefile.in). Finally, you want src/Makefile to
be generated, so configure will need to know about src/Makefile.in; so
you want to add src/Makefile into the AC_OUTPUT() section of the
top-level configure.  That's it.

I've attached a patch based on the svn trunk for your reference.

  -- Pavan