[mpich-discuss] Cannot build mpich2-1.0.8p1 (nemesis) with PGI8.0-4 on Linux x86_64

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Wed Apr 1 18:12:31 CDT 2009

Hi Pavan, list

Pavan Balaji wrote:
> Gus,
>
>> In addition, a number of codes we run here require more than
>> 8 processes, and will use more than one node at a time,
>> which cannot be done with ch3:ssm.
>
> ssm is sock+shm, i.e., inter-node and intra-node. It's not as optimized
> as nemesis, but should be close.

Thank you for the clarification, Pavan.
I really thought (wrongly) that ch3:ssm
provided only shared memory intranode communication.
This gives me an alternative, which I will try tomorrow.

>> It is also a matter of convenience, otherwise I would have to
>> keep MPICH2 builds for ch3:ssm, ch3:sock, and ch3:nemesis,
>> which combined with different compilers (Gnu, Intel, PGI, and
>> hybrid compiler mixes) would give me too large a number of
>> libraries to build and maintain.
>
> Yes, this is a problem.
>
> Here's something more to look forward to in mpich2-1.1 --- we've
> added/improved/fixed multiple weak symbol support that allows you to
> build MPICH2 with one compiler and the application with a different
> compiler (e.g., just build MPICH2 with Intel and have different mpicc
> wrappers called mpicc-gcc mpicc-icc mpicc-pgcc); this will work only for
> C and Fortran, though.

That is good news and will represent some savings in sys admin
effort for me.

You say weak symbol support and
"single MPICH2, multiple compiler wrappers"
will work only for C and Fortran.
Do you mean Fortran 77 only, or will this include F90 (mpif90)?

Many thanks,
Gus Correa
Gustavo Correa
Palisades, NY, 10964-8000 - USA