[mpich-discuss] Cannot build mpich2-1.0.8p1 (nemesis) with PGI8.0-4 on Linux x86_64

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 1 17:00:55 CDT 2009

Gus,

> In addition, a number of codes we run here require more than
> 8 processes, and will use more than one node at a time,
> which cannot be done with ch3:ssm.

ssm is sock+shm, i.e., inter-node and intra-node. It's not as optimized
as nemesis, but should be close.

> It is also a matter of convenience, otherwise I would have to
> keep MPICH2 builds for ch3:ssm, ch3:sock, and ch3:nemesis,
> which combined with different compilers (Gnu, Intel, PGI, and
> hybrid compiler mixes) would give me too large a number of
> libraries to build and maintain.

Yes, this is a problem.

Here's something more to look forward to in mpich2-1.1 --- we've
added/improved/fixed multiple weak symbol support that allows you to
build MPICH2 with one compiler and the application with a different
compiler (e.g., just build MPICH2 with Intel and have different mpicc
wrappers called mpicc-gcc mpicc-icc mpicc-pgcc); this will work only for
C and Fortran, though.

  -- Pavan