[mpich-discuss] Cannot build mpich2-1.0.8p1 (nemesis) with PGI 8.0-4 on Linux x86_64

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Wed Apr 1 15:59:07 CDT 2009

Hi Dave, list

Thank you for all your effort to fix this problem.

Dave Goodell wrote:
> So I have some bad news, Gus.  I managed to locate an installation of
> PGI-7.1-6 and got MPICH2-1.0.8p1 to compile and link using it with a few
> tweaks.  Unfortunately the binary it generates always segfaults deep
> down in MPI_Finalize because of some issue related to the inline
> assembly register constraints.  It is possible that this issue could be
> worked-around in our code or maybe it is resolved by the 8.X version,
> but I don't have immediate access to it.

Again, I wonder if the PGI developers wouldn't be interested in
this problem, and would perhaps offer some hints or fixes
(Maybe fixes need to be applied to their compiler too.)
After all, a number of their customers are MPICH2 users also,
and somehow this type of problem isn't happening with other compilers,
which is not good news for them.

> And even if we were to solve
> that issue, I bet there is another one lurking behind it.

We have PGI and Intel compilers because our processors are AMD Opteron,
and there have been cases where the Intel compiler is not friendly
to AMD hardware.
Also, in the past we used only PGI, but lately some codes stopped
compiling with PGI, or failed with runtime errors,
but would be happy to compile and run with Intel.
We have yet to try gfortran, with which I also built MPICH2.

> I'm afraid that I just have to say that 1.0.8* does not work with
> ch3:nemesis and PGI.  We'll make sure to test it and try to get it
> working for the upcoming 1.1.0 release instead.  As an alternative,
> ch3:sock can be used in 1.0.8.

We have dual-socket quad-core Opteron processor nodes (8 cores/node).
I am afraid ch3:sock may not be the best choice for this type of
"fat" node, where shared memory shortcuts (memcpy ?)
may work better than sockets.
Is this a wrong perception?

> Sorry,
> -Dave