[mpich-discuss] Running the processes just in the nodes

Ralph Butler rbutler at mtsu.edu
Mon Sep 22 12:19:58 CDT 2008

Below is a quick demo of how to do such things.

First, show 3 machines in the mpd ring:

(bp400:70)% mpdtrace
bp400
bp403
bp401

Now show that by default 3 processes will run on all the machines:

(bp400:71)% mpiexec -l -n 3 hostname
0: bp400
1: bp403
2: bp401

Now use the -1 (minus 1) arg to cause the first process to locate on
the second host.  Of course
the last one comes back to the first host, which may still be
undesirable:

(bp400:72)% mpiexec -l -1 -n 3 hostname
2: bp400
0: bp403
1: bp401

Now, create a machine file (named mf) and prepare to use it.  It will
map ranks to hosts.
(bp400:74)% vi mf
(bp400:75)% cat mf
bp401
bp403
bp401

Now use that machinefile to run the procs on hosts other than bp400.
(bp400:76)% mpiexec -l -machinefile mf -n 3 hostname
0: bp401
1: bp403
2: bp401

There are other ways to accomplish this as well using other options
documented in the user guide.

--ralph