[mpich-discuss] read the same file on all processes

Kamaraju Kusumanchi kamaraju at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 20:27:21 CDT 2008

Hi all,

    I have a file which needs to be read on all the processes of an
MPI job. If I read the same file simultaneously on all the processes,
will it cause any problems?

    I can think of two other options such as

- make multiple copies of the same file and read a separate file on
different processes
- read the file on rank 0 process, then use MPI_Bcast and transfer the
contents across the remaining processes.

   Which approach should be preferred? I am thinking this must be
something encountered by others. So, if there is a book/web page which
explains these kind of things, a pointer to them would be most
appreciated.

regards
raju