[mpich-discuss] jumpshot hangs

Anthony Chan chan at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Oct 13 10:45:36 CDT 2008

----- "Burlen Loring" <burlen.loring at kitware.com> wrote:

> Hi all, I am having some troubles running jumpshot, it gets so far and
> then hangs. I am not proficient in java so I have no good informatio
> about why this happens. Maybe it has to do with my java configuration?I
> have kde ubuntu and have java installed from the package repos. Looks
> like there are a variety of java related packages installed.
> Can any one offer advise on how to work through these issues?
>
> here is what happens:
>
> tycho:~$jumpshot
> GUI_LIBDIR is set. GUI_LIBDIR = /opt/mpich2-1.0.7/lib
> Java is version 1.5.0.
> Starting the SLOG-2 Display Program .....
> Jumpshot-4 setup file : /home/burlen/.jumpshot4.conf
> Creating Jumpshot-4 setup file ...
>
> I see two windows, one warns that jumpshot is about to create a file
> and has an OK button the other is the main window. Nothing can be
> done to these

Check if your jumpshot is using GNU's java interpreter, gij ?  try

cat `which jumpshot` | grep "^JVM="

AFAIK, GNU's JVM is broken in terms of running fancy Swing GUI, but
the latest version comes with most linux distro is getting worse in
terms of running Swing GUI.  Anyway, you need to install SUN's,
IBM's or OpenJDK's Java, then update the jumpshot's JVM to one of
the working JVMs.

A.Chan