[mpich-discuss] Memory issue of MPICH2 when displaying a real array

Yaqi Wang yaqiwang at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 20:28:28 CDT 2008

I am using MPICH2 1.0.7 with Windows XP SP3. The compiler is Intel
Visual Fortran 10.1.

I compiled the following code.
======================

program aaa
  use MPI
  implicit none
  integer :: ierr, myid, numprocs
  integer :: i
  real(8) :: a(10)

  ! initialization of MPI
  CALL MPI_INIT( ierr )
  CALL MPI_COMM_RANK( MPI_COMM_WORLD, myid, ierr )
  CALL MPI_COMM_SIZE( MPI_COMM_WORLD, numprocs, ierr )

  a = 0.0_8

  do while (.true.)
     call mpi_display_real_array(myid, a)
  enddo

  CALL MPI_FINALIZE(ierr)
contains

    SUBROUTINE mpi_display_real_array(myid, num)
      integer myid
      REAL(8) :: num(:)
      WRITE(*,*) myid, num
      RETURN
    END SUBROUTINE mpi_display_real_array
end program aaa

And be able to run it with 'mpiexec -n 1 test.exe' on my local
computer. test.f90 is the name of the source code. Number of
processors here is irrelavant, I used 1.

I noticed after running it, the memory cost of the 'smpd' process
kept increasing, which I did not expect. Anybody knows what I did
wrong here?

Thanks.