[mpich-discuss] Installation problem mpich2-1.0.6/1.0.7 on LINUX MANDRIVA 2008.1

Broeders, Cornelis cornelis.broeders at irs.fzk.de
Wed Oct 8 15:33:43 CDT 2008

Dear all,
during implementation of mcnpx2.6.f on LINUX MANDRIVA 2008.1 I encountered problems in case of parallel computing with mpich2-1.0.6/7 when using 3 processes for 2 processors on one notebook ACER Travelmate 6592G. The same executable runs fine with 2 processes, using one processor. Similar errors occurred for different compiler options: icc/ifort intel 10.1/9.1. Earlier installations with LINUX SuSE9.3 worked fine for such cases.
After some trouble-shooting, I decided to look into detail in the testing of mpich2. I observed that all test combinations ended with errors after "make testing". My last detailed check was performed with gcc4.2/g95 0.91. I applied the "-i4" option in g95. The "make testing" command produces a huge "summary.xml" file, mainly containing lines of type "nest stack exceeded at mpir_request.c:174". Further analysis showed that these messages are produced in test programs "iwrite.." in directories "io" for all compilers(f77, f90, cxx).
I am not sure about correlation between my mcnpx and "iwrir.." problem, but I have to go step by step.
Could somebody comment and/or give hints for next steps to get mcnpx running with 2 processors on one system with recent LINUX version??
Thank you very much in advance for any comment.
Best regards,
C. Broeders     http://www.cornelis-broeders.de