[mpich-discuss] Race condition when accessing ~/.smpd during startup

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Nov 25 12:21:41 CST 2008

Am 25.11.2008 um 17:25 schrieb Jayesh Krishna:

>  Hi,
>   The "SMPD_OPTION_NO_DYNAMIC_HOSTS" option should be available in
> the latest stable release of MPICH2, 1.0.8.
>   Can you retry by deleting all entries in your existing smpd
> config file (".smpd") and replacing it with a single line
>
>         phrase=MYPASSPHRASEFORSMPD
>
>   In the above setup SMPD should not be modifying the file. In our
> nightly tests we create the smpd config file in the shared (shared
> among multiple machines) home directory of the user & set the
> "SMPD_OPTION_NO_DYNAMIC_HOSTS".

Okay, found it.

Also before the mpiexec the above environment variable (i.e. in a new
session/window on the node) it must also be set. I was already
wondering, why only one host was mentioned in ~/.smpd since I set it,
but not all other any longer.

Once the entry ist there, the shutdown will also try to remove the
entries, independent whether at time of shutdown the environment
variable is set or not.

Thx a lot, it's working now for me without any `sleep`command.

-- Reuti