[mpich-discuss] mpich2 1.0.8 on windows - domain required?

Thomas Blom blomcode at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 08:44:57 CST 2008

Hello,

I have just subscribed to the list to ask a question about mpich2 on
windows.  (I found the archives but don't see a way to search them).

Is it a requirement that the windows computers participating in mpich2 be
part of a windows domain?  I see things in the documentation that perhaps
imply this, but not state it outright.

My computers are simply on a local network, and part of a "workgroup".  The
smpd process manager can "see" the other systems to some extent, since the
result of

smpd -status mb13    // mb13 is the hostname of my other windows pc

correctly finds that smpd is running on my other host.  But executing
mpiexec and providing hostnames in a "machinefile" e.g.

mpiexec -n 4 -machinefile machines echo %COMPUTERNAME%

fails with:

Credentials for thomas rejected connecting to mb13

I have taken care that the username/pass is identical on each machine, the
user is admin, etc.  I have followed steps I've found in various documents
about uninstalling/installing smpd and providing the identical passphrase on
each, running mpiexec -register, etc...

Any ideas?  (Or is it just that I must be running on a domain, which I
cannot find concrete documentation about)

thanks very much,
thomas blom in austin, tx