[mpich-discuss] mpdtrace cannot connect (cygwin & mpd), previous smpd remnants?

Ingo Bojak I.Bojak at science.ru.nl
Fri Mar 28 14:46:50 CDT 2008

Hi,

> You could however install MPD by compiling/installing MPICH2 using
> cygwin.

I'm aware of this. In fact, as mentioned, I'm successfully running mpd
with cygwin on my laptop. I merely want to do the same on my office
machine.

> MPICH2 installation on windows should not interfere with the
> installation of MPICH2+MPD using cygwin.

Good to know.

> When you re-compile MPICH2 to use MPD make sure that you do "make
> distclean" and re-configure/compile/install MPICH2.

I'm somewhat confused what your comment refers to. My attempt to install
mpd  was the "first go". I had *not* previously compiled mpich2 from
source, but simply used the msi-installer for smpd. Should I have done a
"make distclean" anyhow? Did configure somehow notice the previously
installed (and by that time, uninstalled again, as far as Windows does so
cleanly) smpd version and compile the source for smpd?

>  Do you get any messages from mpd when you run it as a foreground process
> (Just "mpd" instead of "mpd&")?

When I start mpd in foreground it simply does nothing (nothing I can see
at least). I cannot ctrl-c it to escape, but rather I close the cygwin
window to get rid of it.

Best,
Ingo